How does Z-pack effect the heart?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: So as you can see from all of my posts i have horrible anxiety of cardiac arrest. Now my fear isnt out of the blue it is due to the fact that i have occasional premature atrial contractions and very regular heart palps. Feelings of fluttering atleast 4 or so times a week. I am hoping they are just pacs but i have yet to have them happen when i am wearing a monitor. Anyway i have a bad respiratory infection and was prescribed a zpack. I took my first dose (500 mg) and then read it can cause deadly heart rhytms. Should i be worried since i already have some electrical issues?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You don't have to worry about your therapy.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that you don't have to worry about any serious adverse drug effects.

From your previous performed cardiac tests, it results that you have a structurally normal heart.

So, though you may have scarce ectopic beats, the overall tests results are sufficient to conclude, that it safe to use that antibiotic for your pulmonary infection.

Nevertheless, I recommended you to be in close contact with your attending physician and perform a resting ECG, if you experience any unusual symptomatology.

Hope to have been helpful!

Feel free to ask me for any other questions whenever you need!

Best regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 34 minutes later
Thank you!! I figured as much but thought i would check. I have been feeling better and more confident that a majority of my problems are an ocd disorder i have created by dwelling on and researching heart ailments. However i juat had to check!! Thank you
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:

I am glad to have been helpful to you!

Feel free to ask me whenever you need!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri