How does Meclizine work for vertigo and nausea?

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Elderly Problems
Question: How does meclizine work? On the brain, ears, stomach? What does it interact with?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Meclizine

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your medical concerns and questions

You are wondering how meclizine works for vertigo and nausea. Meclizine is actually an antihistamine. It works in the brain to calm the balancing centers of the ear and also directly helps stop the central nervous system vomiting center from activating. This helps with the dizziness and the vomiting. Since it is an antihistamine it can cause drowsiness so if you take it with any medications that also can cause drowsiness you need to be careful not to over sedate. Also you can't use it with people with glaucoma, benign prostate hypertrophy or bladder obstruction.

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions