How does Gabapentin work to relieve pain?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 6 Jun 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: What use is gabapentin when treating a sore back and legs after receiving steroid injection for back pains?X-rays show some spine misalignment.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
it is commonly used for nerve related pain

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Gabapentin is used to treat nerve related pain (neuropathy) and also used to treat chronic (persistent) pain.

When the vertebra are misaligned or there are arthritic changes, it can cause compression of the nerves that come out through the spaces between the vertebra.
This can result in pain in the back , buttocks and lower limbs..

The presence of misalignment in the back means that there may be some effect on the nerves in the area.
The gabapentin may be able to help with any effect the misalignment is having on the nerves.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions