How do you know if you have a pinched nerve in your hip?

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Jun 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: I had xrays on my back a couple months ago for back pain, and it showed that I have one vertebrae (L2) that sticks out farther than the rest. My doctor said that is what is causing my pain. Now, in the past month, at night when I may down my right hip starts tingling and sometimes gets a burning pain. It goes away when I switch sides that I lay on. It only happens when I'm laying down. Does this sound like bursitis from my vertebrae that sticks out? Should I go back to doctor ?
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It may be due to nerve radicle compression

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist, here to answer your query.

The symptoms of tingling and burning pain in your right hip may be due to nerve root compression due to your vertebral issue. Please upload your MRI spine report so that I can answer this well further.

I shall be glad to have you in follow-up with your reports.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 23 minutes later
I had xrays, so I attached the images. I don't have the report with me, but they said my L2 vertebrae sticks out too far.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
MRI Spine should be done.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being in follow-up.

MRI of Lumbo-sacral (L-S) spine should be done to observe if there is any compression on nerve roots due to spinal issues. Its hard to say anything definitive on the basis of just X-Rays.

Hope that helps.If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to answer them.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj