How do you get rid of a muscle spasm?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have had chronic bad spasms for the last 3 months. nothing is giving my relief. i am at the end of my rope!
Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Elderly Problems

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detail below.

Detailed Answer:
Chronic neck and back pain can lead to recurrent muscles spasms. Large muscle groups make up the trunk, including the neck, chest wall, upper back, lower back, arms, and legs. Spasms in these muscles can be a result of an injury or they may develop over time because of arthritic changes in the spine. Obesity can cause stress and strain of the core muscles of the trunk, resulting in muscle cramps of the neck and upper and lower back. Systemic illnesses like diabetes, anemia (low red blood cell count), kidney disease, and thyroid and other hormone issues are also potential causes of muscle spasms.
Diseases of the nervous system, such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, multiple sclerosis, or spinal cord injury, can be associated with muscle spasm.
Most people experience infrequent muscle spasms and do well with prevention (keeping well hydrated and not overusing their body).

However, those who have an underlying medical condition as a cause of muscle spasms often need to treat the original medical problem to help control the muscle spasms. This is especially true for those with peripheral artery disease or movement disorders.
Different situations may require the services of specific specialists. For example, patients who have leg cramps may have a sleep disorder and may need care by a sleep specialist. Neurologists care for patients with movement disorders. Endocrinologists help control diabetes. Vascular surgeons may be required to discuss treatment options for patients with peripheral vascular disease.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal