Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

How do we take care of a person with obsessive-compulsive disorder?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12678 Questions
Hi My mother has been diagnosed with Dementia and is currently on the excelon patch. I have recently moved my parents to my home from SC to XXXXXXX to assist my father in caring for my mother. The problems that my dad and I face is my mother also has OCD and steals when she goes into stores. We have reduced the size of her purse but she refuses to leave it in a car and take it with her anywhere. She also tells us all that we are mean and do not treat her nice and finally she has spinal stinous (sp) and is always laying on a couch and not doing any activity at all as she says her back hurts and she needs to lay down. We need help because we just do not know what to do???
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later

Thanks for writing to us.

OCD is a psychiatric problem associated with excessive anxiety. It is a type of anxiety that happens when there is a problem with the way the brain deals with normal worrying and doubts. People with OCD usually worry a lot.

Cognitive and behavioural therapies show good response in such cases which you can have in consultation with your psychiatrist.

Meanwhile make her practice relaxation techniques like meditation, yoga, XXXXXXX breathing, etc.

The compulsive stealing tendency which your mother is having is called as kleptomania. Along with the behavioural therapy, many drugs like fluvoxamine, paroxetine, etc will help her. You can choose the best drug suitable for her in consultation with her psychiatrist.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor