How do magnesium levels and cramps in arms relate to congestive heart failure?

Dr. Priyank Mody

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: How does magnesium and cramps in arms relate to congestive heart failure? Looking out for answers about my dads latest episode and how long it may have been going on for.
Answered by Dr. Priyank Mody 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cramps are due to deficiency of magnesium /potassium due to diuresis

Detailed Answer:
Hello, I am Dr. Mody and I would be addressing your concern,
Now the most important pathophysiology in congestive heart failure is accumulation of extra fluid. So the basic treatment remains removal of this extra fluid which is done with medication - Diuretic group, most common being furosemide. So this along with flushing out of extra fluids, will flush out electrolytes too, again most important being potassium and magnesium.
So whenever there is deficiency of potassium and magnesium in the body there is muscle cramps and predisposition to important arrhythmia,
In most cases the doctors would be correcting the deficiency with supplements as and when they think it's suitable.
Hopefully this was what you wanted to understand.
Let me know if any further clarification is needed.
Regards Dr Priyank Mody
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Priyank Mody 10 hours later
no more questions right now but tomorrow we get the results of the echo test and I may have another question.
Your information was very useful and made sense.
Thanks
Brief Answer:
Sure

Detailed Answer:
No problem, I am just on the other side if any doubt..
Echo will make clear the reason for congestive failure, and how much have we been able to decongest him thus guide us with the therapy.

Regards Dr Priyank Mody
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar