• question-icon

How do I wean off Clonidine?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: How do I wean myself off clonidine . I take 0.1 mg twice a day have been on 6 mos. side effects constipation, stomach pain, extreme tiredness, weakness in urination. Occasionally and possible small amount of blood in urine. I'm 67 years old
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
weaning from clonidine

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with side effects from your clonidine. You wish now to wean from it. The best method to wean is by taking 1 tablet daily for 1 week then one table every other day for 1 week then stop. That way you should not get elevated spikes of blood pressure. I would recommend monitoring your blood pressure during your wean. If you blood pressure gets above 160 systolic or diastolic greater than 100 then you may need to slow your wean. By slowing your wean I mean take the one pill for maybe two weeks or the every other day for 2 weeks

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions
Dr. Ronald Schubert