How do I wean off Baclofen safely?

Dr. Matt Wachsman

Addiction Medicine Specialist

Posted on Mon, 10 Sep 2018 in Pain Management
Question: I have been taking baclofen 10mg three times a day for 3 weeks. Too many side effects and no longer need a strong muscle relaxer. how best to wean off?
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not so sure it needs weaning.

Detailed Answer:

That is a highly individual basis. If someone has a history of seizures, then the weaning is going to be more careful than otherwise. Also, it is a bit of a problem making changes to one's medications without talking to the doctor who is in charge of them.

Typically Baclofen would be used at this level and if it didn't work then it would be stopped and another muscle relaxant used. Baclofen does not have any abuse potential, but some of the others are considered potentially abusable and addictive.

One could go with half the dose three times a day. The risk of any withdrawal is just not there. The main reason to taper, is to see if the lower dose was more tolerable and maybe would be a good drug to use.

But again, I cannot recommend doing something even if it was safe and likely to be helpful without the direct authorization of one's own doctor in charge.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Matt Wachsman, Addiction Medicine Specialist