question-icon

How do I know if papillary thyroid cancer has recurred?

Posted on Fri, 13 Apr 2012
Question: hello doctor . i am very confused ridht now .i was diagnosed with papil cancer according to my doctors thyroid was removed completely, after about 2 month /by ultrasound /i saw some tissue look like thyroid only on a lt side ...doctor explain to me that is just tissue ...about 3.5cm. now before nuc thyroglob 5.1ng/ml thyro gl ab <20.0 iu/ml nuc detecnck uptake7.1%moderate amount of iodine avid tissue in the neck ...what is it all meen .. /my tumor was 1.2 cm rt/
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh (33 hours later)
Thanks for the query,

I understand your concern.

If you could furnish some more details about pre-op USG, details of surgery and final histopathological report as well as the exact USG report now, then it would be good.

However, currently the thyroglobulin level is a bit elevated. It may mean only normal thyroid remnant also, which should be taken care of by the radioiodine treatment. Subsequently we have to give thyroid hormone supplement and follow the thyroglobulin levels closely.

Please let me know if you have any doubts.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Radhika
Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist