Owl Image

How do I know if I have cracked a rib?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi, I think I injured my ribs doing snow shoveling when the shovel hit a crack in the sidewalk various times and I was moving the shovel at a fast pace as I was just pushing the light snow. The pain wasn't bad at first but it seems to be getting a lot worse over the past 24 hours or so. I do have a couple of small bruises near my ribs.
Thu, 7 Jun 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May have rib injury.

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your query,there may be rib injury,so go for x-ray chest to rule out any bony injury.Till than you can do hot fomentation,avoid wt bearing,applied chest belt and take muscle relaxant like thiocholchicoside 4mg along wit aceclofenac for pain.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow-up: How do I know if I have cracked a rib? 8 minutes later
Thanks. I took a Tylenol 3 with codeine that I had from a different situation. It seems to only hurt when I move around. The more I walk around or bend over the more it hurts. If it's a cracked rib what do they do for that ?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Tylenol 3 with codeine will also help in pain,the symptoms you are telling are possible in one or two rib fracture,treatment include only chest belt and rest.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.