Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

How do I know how severe my calf injury is?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 338 Questions
Hi! I am 5'9'' 190 pounds and have had no knee or calf problems in the past. I have been playing football and on Wednesday 7/6 and felt like I pulled a muscle in the back of my knee. Today Saturday 7/9, the first practice since then, on my first cut I heard a pop in the top of the inside of my calf. Right below my knee. I have pain in the back of my knee and side and can walk with a bit of a limp. I wouldn't even dream of running in this state though. From what I read it sounds like a calf strain? However there is minimal swelling and no bruising. How do I tell the severity? I will be seeing my physician on monday.

Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 33 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

Your history suggests traumatic injury while playing football.

It would be a ligament sprain or ligament tear due to fast kick of ball.

The injury can be to the tendons of hamstring muscles.

It manifests with pain and swelling behind the knee joint as occured in you.

I suggest you to give good rest to the knee by relaxing in a comfortable position.

You can apply cold compresses locally over the swelling which gives pain relief.

And never massage the area, which would aggravate your symptoms.

You can take simple analgesics for pain relief.

Also do not bear your weight on your affected limb.

I feel the injury is a minor problem. Continue to watch the progress.

If after a day or two, You still experience difficulty in walking then, You may require an X-ray of the knee joint and evaluation by an Orthopaedician.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available for your follow up queries if any.

Wishing you good health.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor