Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

How do I cure my edema?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1201 Questions
How do I cure my edema. It is occurring in my calfskin, ankles and feet. Started about two months ago.
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: First define a cause Detailed Answer: Dear patient, Thanks for the query. Lower extremity edema can be due to a wide variety of causes, and the specific treatments vary depending on the underlying situation; varicose veins and obesity are by far the most common causes, but heart failure, liver failure and renal failure are also possibilities that are more serious, and each has its own different approach. Common to all causes of edema though is the benefit of compression stocklings, leg elevations while resting and low salt diet. Many times if insufficient, water pills are prescribed I encourage you to visit with your Family or Internal Medicine doctor; he would start obtaining the basic screening tests depending on the cause that is suspected (eg. for example, if by history and physical examination he suspects of heart failure, he would likely order an ultrasound of the heart called Echocardiogram). Hope this helps wish you the best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic MN Cardiology
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor