How contagious is genital herpes from sexual contact?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: yes I have had genital herepes for 10 years I take faithfully everyday. val cyloviar. never have really had an outbreak, thank god but yes may I still have safe intercourse? only when my cycle comes once a month and I am pre menopausal so barely do I feel any dis comfort.
Answered by Dr. Sheetal Verma 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Describe your problem.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for your query at HCM.

There is no cure for genital herpes infection, and the infection persists for life. People vary in the number and severity of outbreaks they experience. For those with frequent outbreaks, taking antiviral medications as suppressive therapy can decrease the frequency of outbreaks. But as you can't afford I suggest you to use condoms to prevent the spread of genital herpes during sexual activity. Practice hand washing.

I hope I answered your query.
If no clarifications then you can close the discussion and rate the answer and write a review.
Dr. Sheetal Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Sheetal Verma

Infectious Diseases Specialist