How contagious are herpes, gonorrhoea, chlamydia and other sexually transmitted diseases?

Dr. Nishad BN

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: How contagious are Herpes, gonorrhea, chlamydiae and other STD etc?
How common are they in India?
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
More prevalent in those having multiple sexual partners.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM.

I have gone through your query. Herpes, gonorrhea,chlamydia, papilloma and syphilis are more prevalent in those who are having multiple sexual partners.

From this herpes is most prevalent. Once you get it there is no cure for it. Whenever the immunity becomes low you can get an attack again. Papilloma is also more common which is also silent. You can get genital warts by acquiring this.

Gonorrhea and chlamydia are prevalent in sex workers. Females are more prone to acquire this infection. With proper antibiotic therapy this can be cured so in healthy population now it is seen rare.

So those who are having sex with partners who are having multiple sexual partners are at risk of getting these. Most of the sex workers have these also. Even some are HIV positive. Using condoms will decrease the chance of getting these but not completely. These are reported in all major city hospitals all over XXXXXXX

Hope this may help you. Let me know if anything not clear.
Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 37 minutes later
How safe is oral sex with call-girls as i had several encounters with them only through kissing and sucking their breasts.
I had encounters in Januray,april and july of this year with protected intercourse.
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Oral sex have lesser risk than vaginal sex.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again.

Thank you for your follow up query.

Oral sex has lesser risk than vaginal sex in acquiring STD when male is recieving it. But if the female has sore throat or sore mucous membranes then it is equally risky as normal intercourse. This is same for sucking breast also.

Do you have any symptoms of STDs after these encounters?

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 29 minutes later
I had a HIV I and II test by TRIDOT method in Aug and it came negative.
After these encounters, I am getting frequent mouth ulcers and nothing else.
No fever nor anything at all
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It can be due to oral herpes infection.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again.

Thank you for your follow up query. Tridot is almost 99 % accurate. You can go for HIV Duo test again at 28 days post exposure for assurance again.

Your mouth ulcers can be due to oral herpes (herpes simplex 1.) You can go for herpes 1 and 2 test to rule out this. If positive and you are getting recurrent mouth ulcers then antiviral therapy with acyclovir or famcyclovir will be helpful.

Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 1 hour later
What are the main symptoms of herpes
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Main symptoms are sores.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again.

Thank you for your follow up.

Main symptoms of herpes can be sores. It can be present any where in mouth like lips , tongue, inner cheeks , roof of mouth etc. Fever is not must. There can be swollen glands. Being out in sun or stress can trigger its occurrence. It will go away itself after 1 to 2 weeks but can reappear again.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 33 hours later
Actually my sores develop within a day and disappears within 24 hours.

Also had a USG of neck a month before and Kindly find below the complete ultrasonography of neck.

1.THYROID: Both lobes of the thyroid and isthmus are normal in size and shape.No focal solid or cystic lesion is noted.No Calcification is noted.

2.BILATERAL PAROTID:Are normal in echogenicity. No focal lesion is noted.No evidence of any ductal dilatation seen.No calcification or ductal calculus seen.The adjacent fat planes are maintained.

3.BILATERAL SUB MANDIBULAR SALIVARY GLANDS: Bilateral submandibular salivary glands are normal in size,shape and echogenicity.No calcification or ductal calculus noted.

Well defined hypoechoic nodular lesions are seen in both sides of neck at the level of angle of mandible.lesions of right side measures 8*12.7mm and6.8*10.8 mm.the lesions of the left measures 9.2*17mm.Evidence of necrosis is noted in the left sided lesion.

IMPRESSION: Bilateral level II Cervical lymphadenopathy

After this check-up,the doctor had given medicines for a 10 days and based on this report,chances of TB was high as per him.
Again after 10 days, there was no abnormality in my neck found in USG and TB was nullified.
I am pretty confused about these reports?
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lymphadenopathy was the sign of some infection you had.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again.

Thank you for your follow up query.

Lymphadenopathy was the sign of infection you had. It can be TB, syphilis or viral infection like herpes.
What medication your doctor gave. ?
If it disappeared after your treatment then it cannot be TB.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 26 hours later
Doctor gave capodem XP328Mgfor 10 days only.
Herpes or Syphilis are death-claiming or how dangerous are they?
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
They are not dangerous nowadays.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again.

Thank you for your follow up query.

Syphilis was dangerous once before the advent of antibiotics. Now it can be effectively cleared by proper antibiotic therapy. Cepodem xp could have cleared it.

Herpes is not dangerous but trouble making. You can't eliminate herpes completely from your body once you acquire it. It will stay latent and cause out break when your immunity become low. In such case antiviral drug therapy during episodes helps.

Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 3 minutes later
Are there any vaccines against Syphilis,Herpes and HPV?
And where shall I get and what is the cost?
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
HPV there is vaccine.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again.

Thank you for your follow up.

There is no vaccine for syphilis and herpes. But there is vaccine for HPV. Cost will be 140 dollars per dose. Three dose should be taken in 6 months. So it will come around 420 dollars. You can get this in STD clinics or you can ask your GP for this.
Syphilis can be effectively treated with antibiotics. So vaccines are not developed for it.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.