• question-icon

How conclusive is the ELISA test?

Posted on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hello sir,
I had unprotected sexual intercourse on 11march and took an HIV elcia test on 2april and got a result of 0.165 value non reactive .My query is should I repeat my test once again to reconfirm or not
I am really anxious plz help
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
HIV ECLIA is highly reliable

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM
HIV ECLIA test 3rd generation test is detecting only the antibodies against HIV, which becomes reliable only after the completion of window period. It can be taken as conclusive only after 3 months after the exposure whereas ECLIA 4th generation test comprises of two distinguished parts. P24 antigen of HIV in the presence of an infection as early as a week after exposure and can be considered conclusive by 3 weeks which can detect only HIV 1 infection and not HIV 2 infection. HIV 1 infection is common throughout world except in certain parts of XXXXXXX
The other part of 4th generation test detects antibodies against both HIV 1 and 2, but considered conclusive 12 weeks after the exposure.
So which type of ECLIA you had was not mentioned.
If it is 4th generation test then you are free from HIV 1 infection.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 25 minutes later
Sir the test was hiv1&2 quantitative test
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
You have to repeat the test once again 12 weeks after the exposure.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back
This test detects HIV 1&2 antibodies. This will be reliable after the window period. So you have to repeat the test once again 12 weeks after the risky contact to get a conclusive result.
Dr S Murugan
Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist