question-icon

How concerned should I be that my hand remains swollen

Posted on Tue, 26 Mar 2019
Question: How concerned should I be that my hand remains swollen and purple with serious movement impairment, tremors, etc...when trying to use.....months after my arm was thrown backwards, elbow dislocated, ...but broken radius head allowed to heal without being set back in place...so shoulder is "frozen" torn ligaments (?) 35ยบ movement in elbow with healed radius eadd atingg as a brake. Arm won't straighten or bend to touch face, head opposite upper arm. Hand and wrist remain purple...aspurple...actually all the way to upper arm fading to
shoulder..hand and shoulder the most painful...hand worse when trying to use and needing to bend arm. Should I be alarmed at this for permanent neurological and circulation damage?
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Definitely cause for concern

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. Yes, there is definitely a good reason to be concerned. There is obviously a malunion fracture, due to bones not being properly aligned. After a fracture, when the bones are not properly put in place, a large gap is created between them where new bone is formed, thus leading to angulation. This requires corrective surgery to realign the bones and improve the function.

The swelling, the change in color and the tremors point to circulation and nerve damage and are also a serious cause of concern. You need an x ray of the arm and hand and consult an orthopedic surgeon as soon as possible.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Ornela Ademovi