How common is autoinoculation of herpes?
Autoinoculation of hereps: various aspects and suggestions.
Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.
I can understand your concern for the autoinoculation of herpes. I have diligently gone through your query e and make out that you are quite stressed out for the same with lot of internet research done. I can get from your query that you are worried about the further spread to other sites.
Let me first reassure you that herpes is one of the simplest and common viral infections. There are lot of concerns in the western world regarding herpes infection.
As per best of my clinical as well as academic knowledge, there are minimal or say negligible chance of autoinoculation. I have seen thousands of patients of herpes in my clinical practice and saw a very few number of cases with autoinoculation. On taking deep history it was found that in these few number of cases there was manipulation of active lesions and then touching to already abraded or eroded skin or skin with breech or an oozing cuts.
So getting through all these points you should not be worried about the part of herpes. The only thing which you require is not to touch or fiddle with active lesions. Wash your hands specially on touching the active lesions and maintain good personal hygiene.
Our body's own immunity prevents the further autoinoculation. Even if the person is worried then I give a prophylaxis course of antiviral medication such as Acyclovir or better Famcyclovir or valacyclovir for long term.
The most important of suggestion I give to your kind of queries is to not to search internet for the same. As internet is flooded with both good and bad information which do not have any authentic proof, so makes you more nervous than enhancing the knowledge.
I hope this helps.
With good health wishes,
Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD-DERMATOLOGY & Sexually transmitted diseases
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Marks on penile shaft, looks like wart and is rough. What could it be?
- Have red raised skin with clear pus pores on arm. Using neosporin on it....
- Has dark patches on inside of upper lips. What could be the reason for...
- Have small pimples on foreskin. How to remove this?
- Have had a rash near anus it does not itch. Tried Hydrocortizone, no...
- Had a blood draw. Having a bruise or rash at that spot. Should I be...
- Have itchy pimple on penis. No relief after applying cream. Which...
- Have blood blister on mole. Had removed it. Possibility of melanoma?
- Has rash that looks like pimple. Treatment?
- Having scalp abscess. Scalp open up several layers with lesions and...