How common is a brain bleed or fluid leak from a lumbar puncture?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Tue, 13 Aug 2019 in Brain and Spine
Question: I had a Lumbar puncture approx 2 days ago to check for intracranial hypertension', opening pressure was at 4 which they labeled normal I left the hospital the same night AMA due to a family emergency. when i was discharging myself the M.D. told me I can get a brain bleed etc in which I wasnt aware of before the procedure, they warned of headaches and possible infection. now I'm extremely worried!How common is a brain bleed or fluid leak from Lumbar puncture. My headache is back but I am beginning to relate that to having a new born and waking up every he! is there specific things I should keep an eye open for?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Bleeding and infection are very rare possible complications.

Detailed Answer:

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Headaches may occur in up to 25% of patients after lumbar puncture, bleeding and infection are very rare possible complications.

Rest and common pain medication (paracetamol, ibuprofen, etc.) are necessary to control headaches.

Rest is also necessary to prevent bleeding too.

Brain bleeding after lumbar puncture is suspected in cases of new onset neurological symptoms ( lethargy, paralysis, problems with speech, vision ) besides headaches, so, if you or others around you notice anything that may point towards bleeding, getting evaluated at your ER is necessary.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 36 hours later
how long after a LP do rare side affects show?is there a time frame where a person should be cleared
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Adverse effects may show in a couple of days.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Adverse effects of the lumbar puncture may be present in the first couple of days to one week after the procedure.

After one week or two is very unlikely to encounter lumbar puncture adverse effects.

Hope this helps.

Regards.