How can you neutralize a Hydrogen Peroxide burn?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
AFTER TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENT 5 WEEKS AGO, MY SISTER'S INCISION WAS RIPPED TO OPEN BY CPM MECHANIC. HER ORTHOPEDIC DOCTOR TOLD HER TO USE HYDROGEN PEROXIDE FOR HER DEEP WOUND. SHE POURED HYDROGEN PEROXIDE INTO THE HER DEEP WOUND AND LET IT SOAKED FOR COUPLE NITE. NOW SHE IS FEELING BURN, STING AND WARM , YELLOW DRAINAGE ON HER WOUND AND ALSO ON HER ENTIRE LEG. WHAT SHOULD SHE DO TO STOP THE PAIN, STING AND BURN ? I AFRAID THAT HER TISSUE CELLS AND METAL KNEE WILL BE DAMAGED BY HYDROGEN PEROXIDE IN LATER? PLEASE HELP. THANKS
Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotics and proper dressing needed.

Detailed Answer:
Dilute hydrogen peroxide is used for a short time to remove the debris and dead cells. Overuse can cause the normal tissue to burn. The persistent pain and yellow discharge is suggestive of an infection in the area. This needs a direct examination by her physician and proper wound debridement, fluid culture and broad spectrum antibiotics to control the infection. Just using Neosporin will not help. Do ask her to consult her doctor and get proper antibiotics prescribed.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow-up: How can you neutralize a Hydrogen Peroxide burn? 26 minutes later
She had seen her Doctor. Her Doctor told her put hydrogen Peroxide and Neosporin for her wound this past Wednesday after She poured it to her wound since last week. She was afraid of her Doctor to yell at her , so she didn't say anything what she has been done when she saw him this past Wednesday.
And please answer my second question. Does hydrogen Peroxide to damage her inside her tissue cells and metal knee ( transition metal ).
What to do remove hydrogen peroxide?

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Washing the area with sterile water will help.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Hydrogen peroxide is not likely to damage her inside tissue or the metal implant. Only a wash with sterile water will help to remove the excess hydrogen peroxide. Ask her to leave the wound open and let the fluid discharge decrease on its own in next few days. Oral antibiotics may be needed in case the discharge increases or is foul smelling.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: How can you neutralize a Hydrogen Peroxide burn? 2 days later
she rinsed with water for 15 mins every time and put nesoprin when she changed her wound bandage.
She still gets shock pain and feels tingle like bubble sensation on her wound and around . On her wound, there is white , yellow stuff . Does her wound getting better? How long does her wound get healing? Thanks

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Direct examination is needed.

Detailed Answer:
The shock pain and tingle like sensation can be normal. If there is no swelling and no continuous discharge then the wound is likely to get better in 1-2 weeks depending on its size and depth. Still I would recommend her to consult a physician for a direct examination and rule out any infection.
Regards.