How can vomiting brown liquid, diarrhea and stomachache be treated?

Excellent

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
My son is 4 years old his name is XXXXXXX XXXXXXX he is vomiting brown liquid and white stringy stuff and also has food in his vomit, he also complains about his stomach hurting him and has dirreahe and it's watery yellowish with little chunks of stuff in it he has had a fever in the last couple of day but hasn't had one today
Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like viral diarrhea - red flags explained

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.
It seems your kid is having viral diarrhoea. Once it starts it will take 5-7 days to completely get better. Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.
There is no need to use antibiotics unless there is blood in the motion. Antibiotics might worsen if unnecessarily used causing antibiotic associated diarrhoea.
I suggest you use zinc supplements (Z&D drops 1ml once daily for 14 days) & ORS (Each small packet mixed in 200ml of potable water and keep giving sip by sip) as hydration is very important and crucial part of treatment. If there is vomiting you can use Syrup Ondansetron (as prescribed by your paediatrician).
Regarding diet - Avoid fruit juices as they might aggravate diarrhea. You can give zinc supplements & ORS apart from normal vegetarian porridges & soups.
Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,

Follow-up: How can vomiting brown liquid, diarrhea and stomachache be treated? 11 minutes later
with the dirreahe and vomiting and stomach pain and coughing and he has a running nose what do you think

Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like viral etiology

Detailed Answer:
Non specific symptoms like this with involvement of multiple systems is usually viral. I will explain you how a viral illness behaves so that you can be more confident.

Fever of few days without any localizing signs could as well a viral illness. Usually rather than fever, what is more important is the activity of the child, in between 2 fever episodes on the same day. If the kid is active and playing around when there is no fever, it is probably viral illness and it doesn't require antibiotics at all. Once viral fever comes it will there for 4-7 days. So do not worry about duration if the kid is active.

Moreover with another sibling in the household being affected, it is almost always viral.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth