How can vaginismus be treated?

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi there,

I have a question around a very sensitive matter for which I’m hoping you may be able to advise.

My wife and I have been married for nearly 7months now, I’m 27 years of age and she is 26. We were each other’s 1st sexual. Partners I.e we were both virgins at the time marriage. Since then we have made numerous attempts at sex, it is unbearable my painful for her, and such un enjoyable to an extent. We have had a gynecologist look at her and she is in good health. I’m trying to find out what could possible be the matter and how it can be resolved to better our sex life for obvious reasons

I’m living here in the UAE at the moment but have spoke to a Dr. back home who has described that it could be a condition called vagimisus or something of the sort.

All in all what I really want to know is can this be remedied and is there something that could be wrong that we need to worry about? Is this uncommon?

Would really appreciate a professional perspective on this and some directives if any. Thanks
Fri, 20 Apr 2018 in Sexual Health

Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it is treatable

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I am the person who suspected possibility of vaginismus few months back and we have good discussion on that occasion.

First of all I like to assure you that the condition is treatable. Like any other disorder with psychological origin treatment of vaginismus takes time, sometime even three to six months, but the failure rate is very low in individuals with proper professional help. Regarding the occurrence it can not be stated that the problem is uncommon. Although there is no proper data available but the estimates indicate that 5-10% of young women experience some or severe form of vaginismus. It can be stated that it is common disorder but hardly get any attention from medical fraternity and common public.

Regarding something else I completely agree that this can not be denied as painful sex is result of many conditions including vaginismus. However considering the earlier gynecological opinion we can set our worries to side. Despite the earlier consultation I will recommend you to seek second opinion from some other gynecologist as we need to be double sure before proceeding to treatment for vaginismus.

I hope this answers you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.