How can urine be collected from an infant for urine test?

Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: My daughter 2 .5 year old.she is feeling pain on urinary and she refused to sit and piss.doc suggested for urine test.but we could nt able to collect as she
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 2 minutes later
Hi
It is difficult collecting clean urine specimen in female baby. Collection by urinary catheter is advisable.
Do get back to me for detailed discussion and further management.

Best regards
Dr Deepak XXXXXXX Kaltari
MBBS, MS, MCh
Consultant Pediatric Surgeon
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 9 minutes later
Thanks Doctor,She refused to sit and piss ,she is doing pissing on standing. Not sure how catheter can be use or shall i require to test center and wait till pissing. Or any medicine can recommanded before testing?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Urethral catheterization specimen can be collected

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Greetings
Dear Mr XXXXX

There is no need for concern. Urine can be easily collected by lab technician or junior doctor by urethral catheterization with number 10 Infant feeding tube using aseptic precautions.
I would suggest you to get the following investigation
1. Urine Routine and microscopic examination
2. Urine culture and antibiotic sensitivity

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Best regards
Dr Deepak XXXXXXX
MBBS, MS, MCh
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 22 hours later
Hi, able to collect sample and got urine routine and microscopy.the culture report will come after 2 days.attacing the lab report.
PUS cells on 3-4,amorpharous urate +ve.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is Urinary tract infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Greetings
From the reports it's obvious that cause of symptoms is Urinary tract infection. As there is absence of fever it is very reassuring. If this is first episode of Urinary tract infection there is no need for further investigation.
I would suggest a course of antibiotics for 5 days.

Best regards
Dr Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 42 hours later
Thanks,which antibiotic shall you recommand?I an attaching the urine culture report.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cefixime will be helpful

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Dear Mr XXXXX

Syrup Cefixime is recommended . Dosage is 5 mg per kilogramme body weight per dose twice a day for five days.

Best regards
Dr Deepak