How can unexplained weight loss be alleviated while experiencing burning sensation in the upper abdomen?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 18 Jul 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have a stomach pain that started on the first week of November 2017. It is a general stomach pain, so I went to a walk in clinic, initial assessment by the doctor indicates it's possibly gastritis. I was prescribed with pantoprazole 20 mg for a month. After about a few days I felt the pain is getting worse so I went to the Urgent Care Unit of a nearby health centre to have it checked further. The attending physician ordered blood tests to rule out any issues on my gall bladder, liver, and pancreas but results were normal. I had chest Xray on same day to see if the symptoms is heart related but found nothing wrong. An ultrasound of my abdomen was done after a few days and found nothing abnormal. I also had H pylori breath test done in 2nd week of December 2017 and the results were negative for bacteria. I am currently on Dexilant 60 mg since I feel pantoprazole did not work for me. In the absence of pain, I always have this burning sensation on my upper abdomen and quickly feel hungry even an hour after eating. I have lost 10 lbs ever since , but I did not have a loss of appetite, currently on a bland diet, eating only the right food and supplements for my current conditions. I feel like I am losing weight constantly, and also feel a little bit fatigued, and this worries me a lot. In morning after waking up I feel very empty and hungry. By the way my bowel movements are still normal. I tried Ensure to help me gain some weight but on some days it upsets my stomach. I will have a gastroscopy appointment in a week to check what's going on my stomach. In the meantime I would appreciate very much if you provide some advise. What can you suggest to help mitigate my weight loss? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If 2d echo is normal its gastritis or GERD.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HCM.
Heartburn is a cardinal symptom of reflux disorder; acid reflux causes a retrosternal or epigastric burning feeling that characteristically radiates up towards the throat,and is a cardinal symptom of GERD and gastritis.
Sometimes this burning sensation can be pulsating also.Every time the acid from stomach refluxes back into esophagus it injures esophageal mucosa.This injured mucosa undergoes severe spasmodic contractions due to inflammation causing sensations.

I would suggest you to go for two tests-
2d echo- to rule out cardiac involvement.
If this test is normal then gastric involvement is there and endoscopy has to be done.

Treatment would consist of two phases-
Control acid production - covered by PPI’s
Reflux of acid back into esophagus-Levosulpiride or Domperidom would be given for that.

So initially go for an endoscopy.
Hope i was helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for your quick response. Can you please comment on why I keep on losing weight although my appetite is normal? What can you suggest so I don't lose weight further? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
You gain weight when you can digest food properly.Digestive system is a comlex unit every sep
from chewing of food to break down by acid in stomach is important.Unless your gut is fine nutrients wont be absorbed properly hence you would lose weight.
I would suggest you to take ON mass gainer 1scoob a day.
Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D