How can uncontrollable belches and pain on either sides of the abdomen be managed while being treated for GERD?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on 3 days ago in General Health
Question: I am having pain in right side about mid way up that is dull and achy, It is also an area I had shingles in 4 years this months. It started when I started teaching classes and was using my are a lot writing and doing skills in nursing. I also have GERD really bad and am on Omeprazole. I do not know if the 2 are linked but my burping is out of control and the pain being on opposite sides makes no sense. I am an RN of 40 years and cannot figure it out. Not a complainer but am being treated for GERD over 5 years. Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lifestyle modification needed

Detailed Answer:

Your problem seems to be due to gastritis or gastro-esophageal reflux. Our gastrointestinal tract has a forward propulsive movement (peristalsis) that moves the food material forward as it is digested, absorbed and finally expelled as feces. If somehow this movement gets hampered, food along with the digestive juices would stagnate, stomach acid will reflux into the food pipe and on the other hand the bowel habits would not be proper. Degradation of undigested food in the intestines by the intestinal bacteria would lead to the excess gas formation.

In order to relieve yourself, you need to do the following:

* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.

* Avoid alcohol intake (if it is a part of your habit).

* Continue to take Omeprazole once daily before breakfast.

* Take plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fiber supplements like Isabgol/Psyllium Husk or Senna. I would insist you to increase your dietary fiber intake.

* Regular morning walk and exercise to keep the bowel movements proper.

* If I had a patient like you I would perhaps have suggested Prodep (fluoxetine) tablet (long term anxiolytic and a prescription drug) once daily for at least 2 months (it may take time for the action to set in). Discuss about this with your treating physician.

* Take curd or yogurt on a daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.

* Stress reduction has a very important role to play. Yoga and meditation should help.

Hopefully that should help.

Thank you.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng