How can treatment be administered for urinary infection when the urine test doesn't provide all the details?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 18 Oct 2019 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hello Doc,

Here is my mom;s medical history
Beta Talasmemia
Iron deficiency Anemia
Hypertention
Irritable bowel syndrome

Question is , her urine routine report showed pus cells so doc had advised for tablet . But we did repeat the urine report after 15 days again it has shown changes, Now we did urine culture but the report just shows one parameter not the details .

I am concerned if she has any infection UTI or in the bladder how will we start the treatment becoz the culture report is not detailed and urine report says infection.

Please advice for any further detailed tests to find put the root cause
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Urine culture is most sensitive test to detect infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

I have gone through our previous discussion on your mother;s problem .

Urine culture is the most reliable and sensitive test to confirm infection .Since there is no bacterial growth detected on culture she does not have active infection
..
Pus cells are the dead white blood cells which die during fight against bacteria and excreted in urine .These cells can be detected in urine for 2-3 weeks even after the infection is eradicated .

I would suggest you to continue with Niftas for 2 more weeks ,It is a urinary antiseptic and is being prescribed routinely to deal with residual infection

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil..

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Thanks doc for the explanation. My question here is I have seen the culture report which is quite detailed like pus cells and other bacteria and all.. and accordingly the doc can prescribe which anti biotics will work .

Based on the report of routine urine analysis turbid appearance of urine with presence of 10-15 Leukocytes detected on microscopic examination is suggestive of UTI (Cystitis) as guided by you earlier

As i understand culture is done to find out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to.

Is there any specific urine culture to be done to find out the same as she has symptoms of frequent urination, and urgency
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can repeat the urine culture in other laboratory

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up
We have to believe the report issued by lab.

However if she still has frequency and urgency I would suggest you to repeat urine culture in other laboratory .

Thanks and Regards
Dr Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana