How can toe nail discoloration be treated?

Dr. Ornela Ademovi

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Happy Thanksgiving.
Just a small anomaly. big toe toe nail is turning dark. Right toe. side nearest 2nd toe. coloration is now 3/16 inch wide and increasing in width by 1/16 inch per week
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need to see a picture, please

Detailed Answer:
Hello and happy Thanksgiving to you too.

I understand your concern and ideally, I would like to see a picture before naming a diagnosis, so if possible, please do provide one. you can simply upload/attach it to the reports section of this web-page.

A dark toenail may be due to various reasons. A fungal infection is the most probable cause. In this case, you need a prescription for an oral and topical antifungal medication.

Sometimes toenail discoloration may be due to internal problems, such as diabetes, heart disease or anemia. If any of these are part of your medical history then I'd suggest you discuss this with your doctor.

Toenail discoloration may also be due to melanoma, a pathological skin condition, but its presentation is rather typical and different from the above-mentioned causes.

As you see, there are various causes involved, so please upload the picture so that I can assist you further. Along with this, I'd also recommend you get it checked once by a doctor in order to receive the appropriate treatment.

Wishing you good health and all the best.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee