How can tight foreskin be treated?

Posted on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 in Men's Health
Question: am a 27yr old and have a tight foreskin,what should i do
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Circumcision is the best option

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us.

I can understand your concern.If your skin cannot be retracted behind the glans of penis easily intervention is needed.This condition is called phimosis.

Treatment is there.

Non Surgical Approach:
Applications of steroid creams (like 0.05% betamethasone) have been used to manage phimosis medically. The usual regimen is application of the steroid cream once or twice daily for 4-6 weeks. Studies have shown a success rate of 50-87% with this treatment. Higher rates of success have been reported with concomitant preputial stretching exercises.

If a patient has concomitant balanitis (inflammation around foreskin), depending on the etiology, it may be treated with topical antibiotics or antifungals.

Surgical Method:
Circumcision is the surgical treatment of choice for correction of phimosis.It is day care procedure. It is done under local anesthesia. You can get back to all normal work in a week.

In my opinion considering your age you should go for circumcision.
However best judgement can be taken after proper physical examination only.

You need to consult general surgeon for the same.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.

Dr.Chintan Solanki.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 6 minutes later
can i buy betamethasone 0.05% cream without doctors prescription,please suggest some other cream also
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No it is steroid and must be used under doctor's supervision

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up.

Topical betamethasone can cause burning, itching, or stinging at the application site. First of all local physical examination is needed. After that if doctor feels that topical steroid can help then only it should be applied.
Any drug/steroid must be used with legal valid prescription only. If any side effect occurs by chance treating doctor can provide immediate help.

For a while you can use any clean oil or good moisturizer to which you are not allergic. You can apply on foreskin as well as push some amount beneath and gently try to retract daily. If you feel pain or discomfort please do not do the same. Within one month no significant improvement, surgery is the best option.

Hope this answers your query.
All the best.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 5 minutes later
i want to meet you sir,pls give your clinic address and contact number also mention the timings sir
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I am from XXXXXXX you can consult general surgeon in XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for asking my details. I of course can give you my details but I am in XXXXXXX and your location is there in XXXXXXX I guess as per information from site.

You can find some names of general surgeons in XXXXXXX through below link. You can search also further according to area.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Chintan Solanki


Practicing since :2007

Answered : 2406 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Drug/Medication ,  
Medical Procedures ,  

Recent questions on  Topical steroid

doctor1 MD

I have eosinophil count more than 12 in blood. So in winter I have cough and could. In summer I get rashes. For that rashes now I using Betnovate...

doctor1 MD

My son has an itchy red rash on his earlobes. It's been here for 2 weeks. 3 weeks ago, he had rash on lower right leg. Looked like poison ivy....

doctor1 MD

Hi Last year I had to arrest a Somalian and I thought I got bit by fleas. I have six raised red spots that itch incessantly. I got eczema as a...

doctor1 MD

Hello, I think I have three spots of ring worn on my head. I have been to the Dr and he gave me Triamcinolone Acetonide Lotion, USP 0.1% ..... He...

doctor1 MD

I was having itching in my areas involving touching such as thighs, underarms and it was causing sour smell, so i asked one of the doctors here and...

doctor1 MD

I just noticed these spots under my armpit a few inches. It is slightly itchy. Its only here, no where else on body. I recently used a tanning bed...

doctor1 MD

hi I was wondering if you could tell me if I have hpv . I sweat a lot down there and went to the doc about a week ago. when i got there the...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

179 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction