question-icon

How Can Thyroid Nodules Be Treated Without Medication?

Posted on 5 days ago
Question: Hi,

Endocrinologist says I went from two, 1mm thyroid nodules to multiple ones but labs normal.

I want to keep my thyroid and I I want to be med free.

Is this possible?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni (49 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
About thyroid nodules;

Detailed Answer:

Thyroid nodules can not be treated with medications, but if any of the nodules is increased and has characteristics in ultrasound suggesting for malignancy, FNA( citology) is performed.

If FNA results positive for malignancy, surgery is performed. Otherwise there is no need for intervention as far as you do not have symptoms of compression of adjecent structures ( difficulty in breathing, swallowing).
So you do not need oral medications as long as thyroid hormones are normal (oral medications consist in normalizing hormonal level) but an ultrasound evaluation and probably FNA if any of the nodules is problematic in ultrasound, would be suggested.
Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist