Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

How can the results of semen analysis test be interpreted?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 466 Questions
Hi Doctor, I am male 30 years old but I took this test 2 years ago. I really need your help to know Exactly what is the meaning of my below semen analysis result and how I can improve it.??? And if I send u my hormones test , would u b able to tell me the area where to improve? :
My semens analysis test:
Volume : 1.5 ml
Liquefaction : 20 min
pH : 8.0
WBC/HPF : 1-3
Count : 34.8 million/ml
Total motility : 55%
Rapid progression : 20%
Slow Progression : 35%
Immotile : 45%
Normal forms : 50%
abnormal forms : 50%
Spermagonic cells / HPF : 4-6
Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Men Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 44 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

For analysis of semen the sample should be fresh after sexual abstinence of 2 to 4 days to give accurate results.

Let me interpret your results:
The volume of semen less than 1 ml is abnormal.The liquefaction of the semen should occur in 10 to 30 minutes and ph should indicate it to be alkaline(between 7.2 and 7.8). Sperm count is the total number of sperms in a sample and should not be less than 10 million. Motility is the movement of the sperms and in sample at least 50% of the sperms should be motile from which at least 20% of the sperms should progress rapidly. Pus cells can vary and 5 or 6 are normal in a sample.

Your report is almost normal and reproductive capability is present. Since this report is 2 years old I will suggest to get a repeat test done along with the hormonal analysis and see the current results. I will surely be able to help you with the recent reports.

Some suggestions for you:
1) Have a healthy nutritious diet comprising fruits, veggies, salads etc. Include bananas, avocados, nuts, tomatoes, oysters as they help in increasing sperm count.
2) Take a Zinc supplementation once daily for few months.
3) Abstain from smoking and alcohol.
4) Do some form of exercise daily.
5) Avoid stress and practice meditation.

Consider visiting an Infertility Specialist for thorough evaluation.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for folllow up if any.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How can the results of semen analysis test be interpreted? 53 minutes later
thanks Dr for your quick respond but most of what you said I already know it..anyway
my problem is really much complicated than this. is my penis size "!
since I born I notice my penis size is smaller than others. even sexually I don't last maybe 5 mints the most.. but I didn't want to believe the idea that am XXXXXXX so I started to fight it.. I had couple fauilers in sex with my X girl friends, coz of my timing problem.. So when I get 26 years I decided to exercise in the gym I thought that might help the blood pressure to flood in my penis which will make it stand up harder I I right?
then I started to have muscles all over my body by taking the strongest supplements at GNC which are legalized by the federal health american association.
anyway... I ended up with a puffed guy from the top with a small penis in the bottom haha.. isn't that funny?
I went crazy, nothing wants to change... I dont want to b XXXXXXX at the same time...
so I was like "I have nothing to lose, why wouldnt I take some steroids to get more muscles" ..and u know Dr. the ggym environment has the influence on me to take these hormone, because when I see big and puffed guys i wanted to look like them and in order for me to do that I had to take these hormones
but guess what.? my penis size is even smaller than before and I can't even last for 1 mint !!! so I went into depression due to another failure in sex plus some family issues which makes me so depressed in a way that makes me quit the gym and stay between work and home that's it!!!
dr. am not sure if am talking to the right person... I guess you will refer me to. specialist

Follow-up: How can the results of semen analysis test be interpreted? 11 minutes later
my hormone test are the following :
TSH : 2.108
FT4 : 16.30 pmol/L
FT3 : 2.41 Pmol/L
Estradiol (E2) : 29 pg/mL
Testosterone : 10.47 nmol/L
3.02 ng/ml
Prolactin : 159.68 mlU/L
7.5 ng/mL
LH : 3.71 mlU/mL
FSH : 0.78 mlU/mL

these results about a year after I took the steroids courses..
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 40 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up.

Semen analysis report determines the male fertility and reproductive capability which I had explained in detail and your hormonal levels are too normal.

Regarding the penis size an average non erect penis of 3 inches can satisfy a woman and also help in reproductive capability. There is no way to increase its size and the premature ejaculation is because of various other factors as stress, performance anxiety or any diseases like Diabetes, Blood pressure etc... In young males performance anxiety is the most common cause and that can be dealt by increasing the foreplay time and by following "Start and Stop technique" after penetration, lubricants and fingering to satisfy the partner.

The steroids which you have been taking as supplements have various detrimental effects on the body and it was not a good idea to have them for a prolonged period. And working out in gym too reduces the capability as most of the male hormone that is testosterone is utilized during exercises and the same hormone too is required for Erections.

You can follow these measures which might help you:
1. Do regular exercises but avoid any extra supplements and over strenuous exercises.
2. Consume lots of XXXXXXX leafy vegetables and fruits.
3. Do not be depressed and spend time with family and friends.
4. If you need you can take counseling sessions for depression.
5. Indulge in activities as listening music, dancing, swimming etc.
6. Consider getting your Blood sugars and Blood Pressure evaluated to rule out any other diseases and a repeat Hormonal evaluation(the previous hormonal reports are fine).

If you are still too worried about the perfomance, it would be better to see a sexologist and get it examined and evaluated to know the exact cause of your condition.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you a good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor