Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

How can the pain,infection and bleeding in the ear be treated?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2547 Questions
F-40, 58 kg, 65 cm
My wife have infection in Right Side ear. Consulted ENT specialist at Shahdol.Ear cleaned and Medicine were given get relief.
On 30.03.2011 again pain / infection with bleeding in the same ear. Again consulted with same specialist. After checking hole in ear drum is reported. By medicine get relief.
25.5.2011. Again consulted with same Specialist. After checking advice to operate the ear drum.
Current status- having pain/infection with bleeding in the same ear.
Please advice medicine to check the infection and other precautions to be taken to avoid repeated infection. Please also tell about suitable Doctor for operation of the ear near shahdol. total duration may required & expenditure for operation.

Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. You should get her ear discharge sample sent for culture and antibiotic sensitivity. Then the antibiotics can be prescribed accordingly by your doctor.

2. Pain and infection can be easily controlled, however bleeding or blood stained discharge means that infection has involved bone (osteitis in medical terminology). Bone has poor blood supply and hence antibiotics cannot reach the site of infection easily. It may also be a sign of fungal disease (otomycosis) and sometimes of 'unsafe' CSOM (chronic suppuative otitis media) ear disease.

3. If she is NOT SENSITIVE TO PENICILLINS, instead of Azithromycin she should be prescribed a combination of Amoxicillin + Clavulanic acid or Cefpodoxime + Calvulanic acid. If her ear culture shows resistant organisms, two or more antibiotics may be required simultaneously.

4. Her exact ear findings on examination are important. The middle ear behind the eardrum is always wet with normal secretions and if she has a perforation (hole) in her eardrum then there will be frequent infections. If her ear discharge is mucoid, in large quantity and increases with a cold or upper fungal infection. Anti-fungal drops are harmful to the inner ear and must be used only for a short period.

6. Supportive medications such as anti-allergics, decongestants, painkillers and steam inhalation are also required. The ear must be kept dry and care must be taken while having a head bath and in the rains.

7. After the infection has subsided, get a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) done. This will help in estimating the hearing loss and hearing improvement, if any, after surgery. Get her mastoid x-rays done. This will help understand the nature of her ear disease.

8. You may consult Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX in at the Ballabh ENT & Maternity Hospital,
E 4/94, Market No. 10, Old Saifia College Road, Shahajanabad, Bhopal - 0000. Tel: +(91)-(755)-0000, 0000 Mobile: +(91)-0000, 0000.

9. Routine Ear Operations may cost between 15,000 to 60,000 depending on the type of operation and the hospital / ward / room selected. Hospital stay expected is 1 to 3 days. She can resume normal activities within a week, however XXXXXXX recovery time is 4 to 5 weeks.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor