How can the 4th generation Elisa HIV test result showing 0.19 be interpreted?

Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Wed, 22 Aug 2018 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi Sir,

I have done my 3rd generation elisa hiv antibody test at 3, 6 and 14th months after the exposure. But in internet it is been said that 4th generation test is more accurate so i have done the test at 18th period can you please interpret the result as it is showing the values as 0.19, i am very much worried. Please help me sir.

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
The result is negative.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

After the period of 14 months any test would have the same accuracy and all can be considered conclusive. The test result for 4th generation HIV Duos test is negative in the attached photo and any value below one is considered as negative that is why it is not of much importance. Don't get worried or anxious as you are definitely safe and risk free from HIV. For any further query feel free to ask me again any time.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 27 minutes later
Hi Sir, I have done the test at 18th month mark, but only concern is the value is 0.19 if i am negative then it should show 0. My doubt is whether this is a default value, if for any normal negative person if they do the test the get the same value. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The value has not of much importance.

Detailed Answer:

Any value below for 4th generation HIV Duos test is considered as negative and zero value will indicate invalid test that is why the number is there but don't think so much as it is not of much significance. Be relaxed, forget about the episode and live your life normally because you are not at risk of HIV.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 57 minutes later
Thank you Sir, So i can consider this as conclusive at 18th month. I am going to do any test further.
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No further test is required.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back once again.

The test result is 100% conclusive and you need not to go for any further test for HIV. Calm down, close this chapter here and move ahead in life happily.

Hope I have answered your query.
Take care,
Dr. Sunil Jangid
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad