• question-icon

    How can testosterone deficiency be diagnosed?

Posted on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hello

Can I get my bloods taken to see if I need to be taking TRT or HGH therapy. It is difficult to get this done on the NHS as symptoms are sometimes not taken as real from my Local GP service on the NHS.

Can u advise where I could get these test done privately in Northern Ireland?.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Check testosterone and IGF1:

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
Testoterone is not a test that needs very specific symptoms to get done.
Is a routine examination in males that complain of fatigue or low libido, so there is no reason why your local GP refuses to get it done.
Growth hormone or IGF1 are checked in more specific situations at your age.
You can consult privately an endocrinologist (if your local GP refuses to refer you to endocrinologist) and he will advice you how to get these tests done at your area.
Normally each private Clinic can do the tests even if they are not recommended by a specialist.
Hope the information will help.
Kind regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Answered by
Dr. Mirjeta Guni


Practicing since :2006

Answered : 2310 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Growth hormone

doctor1 MD

I am Laura Maria Torres, 21years old, I live in Bogota, Colombia. In August 2001, at the age of 11, I was diagnosed brain cancer, a medulloblastoma...

doctor1 MD

I would like to see an endocrinologist for a different approach to my ED issues from my urologist. All of the endocrinologists I find listed on our...

doctor1 MD

Have you ever come across a relationship between ehlers danlos syndrome and pituitary abnormalities? Specifically, pituitary adenomas,...

doctor1 MD

My daughter when she was very young had a cyst growing on the nob of her hear it became a golf ball and had it removed before she started school....

doctor1 MD

Hello, I know you must get sick of people asking these questions, but I would love it if you could simply answer my questions. Is it possible that...

doctor1 MD

Hello I am worried about slow height growth of my 12 year son and I feel that he needs to undergo a growth hormone test and some treatment for...

doctor1 MD

would injecting HGH help keep you from getting the Shingles and or would it help shorten the length of having shingles and ease the pain?

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

197 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Mirjeta Guni
  • Q - What causes blurred vision, digestive issues and dizziness when...

  • Q - What causes weight gain and heat intolerance while on Synthroid,...

  • Q - Suggest treatment for weight gain when diagnosed with adrenal fatigue

  • Q - What causes hyperthyroidism?

  • Q - What are the side effects of long term intake of Aspirin?

  • Q - What do anxiety and palpitations and TSH level of 3.0 indicate?

  • Q - Suggest the ideal dosage for vitamin D supplement

  • Q - What causes increased weight gain with abdominal pain?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for insomnia and dizziness in a hypertensive person

  • Q - What are the possible effects of switching from Humalog to Novolog?