Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

How can swollen lymph nodes in the neck be treated?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12466 Questions
I am 37 and have had an increasing number of swollen lymph nodes in my neck. CT said they are in the "high end of normal" in size (5 in total), I also have cysts on my throid, elevated liver enzymes and a small cyst in my left ovary. Everyone is in a lets wait and see mode. Should I get another opinion?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us.

Gradually increasing neck lymph nodes for last two years in the absence of any infection definitely need to be investigated at first. If there is an associated weight loss then definitely a delay in diagnosis might affect the prognosis.

Lymph nodes swelling are one of the things which inform us about the breach in immune system.

It could have been breached by micro-organisms that is infection, continuous inflammation, hypersensitivity or uncontrolled production of WBC's like in cancer. These are all the possibilities.

Sometimes few slow growing bacteria like TB bacteria will seem to respond to the the regular anti-biotics but it doesn't and continues to grow for a longer time until the proper treatment is taken. There are many bacteria which are like this.

Even virus which doesn't have specific antibiotics can go on like this if your body's natural defence is weak.

Few autoimmune diseases like Hashimoto's Thyroiditis can cause swelling of the neck which is most often due to an ear infection and fever earlier. Similarly the cancerous cells grow in this pattern.

So please consult your doctor as physical examination of the lymph nodes, FNAC and lab investigations are a must to confirm and rule out persisting infection and other causes.

Also, the cyst in the ovary, which causes pain and bleeding during intercourse needs to be evaluated further. Do consult your doctor regarding this also.

I personally do not feel this is a wait and watch situation.

I hope I have cleared your doubt. Feel free to write to me for any other query I will be available to answer.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor