question-icon

How can swelling in the ankles be treated in an elderly patient?

Posted on Fri, 23 Nov 2018
Question: My left ankle swells during the day..Not badly, but noticeably. What might be the cause ? I am female, 94 years old and except for stiff knees, am in excellent health.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah (30 minutes later)
Brief Answer:

Probably related to weakened veins!

Detailed Answer:

With this happening to one ankle only, it is caused by a local problem. Ths most likely cause is weakened veins that are unable to completely return blood to the heart lik ethey used to do before.

I will recommend that you raise your legs as often as possible when sitted. Also, reduced salt intake and compressive stocking would be of great help.

I hope this addresses your query fully and help. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Ivo Ditah, Internal Medicine Specialist
Dr. Ivo Ditah