How can swelling in the ankle post injury be identified as a sprain or a fracture?
How do we tell the difference between a fracture and a sprain
Need an X-ray.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.
If there is significant swelling and pain, I recommend you go in to be seen at urgent care or ER where a doctor can examine it and get an x-ray. It is often impossible to know whether there is a fracture without an X-ray.
It is important to know the status (fracture vs sprain) because the expected course of treatment and recovery can be different.
I'm sorry your are having so much pain. But do go in now and have it looked at and X-ray.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- How to heal injury mediated ankle sprain
- Do's and dont's of fractures and sprains
- How to treat a minor sprained ankle no swelling
- How to differentiate between severe ankle sprain and fracture
- Can accidental ankle twisting lead to sprain or fracture
- Sprained ankle swelling how long
- Sprained ankle fracture ankle exercises done anything else for cure
- Severe ankle sprain swelling
- Ankle injury hamstring pain swelling is it a sprain
- Injured wrist swelling due to sprain or fracture