Owl Image

How can stomachache with a burning sensation be treated despite taking Omeprazole?

Question
For a week now i m having upset stomach i threw up but not a lot and i also had loose stools i have intestinal pain no more vonitiing or abdominal pain but i m feelibg hunger pain in my stomach and it feels like it s burning me i m taking omeprazole once daily it doesnt seem that it s helping much
Sat, 2 Jun 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hold off solids, increase omeprazole, probiotics, peptobismol

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Nausea and vomiting can be due to different possible causes but the most common causes are (1) viral or bacterial infection of the gastrointestinal tract- also called stomach flu (2) reflux

Omeprazole and other meds in this drug family can take 5 to 7 days to kick in though you may have been using it for at least 5 days already since you have been unwell for a week.
The strength can be increased to 40mg to help with your symptoms.

If you are still having loose stools, nausea and vomiting then you may also want to consider using peptobismol along with probiotics. The probiotics will help to put back the normal bacterial flora in the colon and generally shortens the course of loose stool.
The peptobismol would also help with the burning discomfort as well.

Hold off any spicy or acidic foods. Also avoid fatty or fried foods as well.

If you are having diarrhea then you may want to hold off solid food till there is a 4 hour window with symptoms.
After this 4 hour period passes, then start with small amounts of bland food such as bread, biscuits, plain rice

Summary --(1) increase omeprazole to 40 mg
(2)consider adding peptobismol and probiotics
(3)avoid fatty/fried/spicy/acidic foods

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: How can stomachache with a burning sensation be treated despite taking Omeprazole? 33 minutes later
My stomach feels sore and as soon as i eat i feel full i m so anxious and worried about stomach cancer i tried probiotics but they made me throw up and nauseous in urgent care they gave me medicine for ibs most of my symptoms eased up but i feel that i habe a full belly i drink some water abd it feels like i drank a gallon i feel like it s not digesting food any medicine otc that can help with digestion i feel like i have a ball as soon as i eat i have no blood at all but my stomach is making very wierd noises and i m scared to drink water it makes me nauseous can it be an ulcer ?? I have an app booked with a apecialist in february it also feels like somebody punched me in my stomach

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
cancer is not likely at your age

Detailed Answer:
HI

Stomach cancer is not a likely diagnosis since it only very rarely occurs at your age. According to an article published in XXXXXXX Association of Cancer research, only 1% of gastric cancer occurs in the age group 20 to 34.
The noises that you are hearing do not point to cancer.

An ulcer can cause burning pain and nausea, there would be a previous long term history of reflux.

A medication such as metoclopramide may be helpful with emptying of the stomach.