How can spotting be treated despite being on Ipill?

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 5 Sep 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: HI DOCTOR,
MY LMP WAS ON 11 XXXXXXX 18, ON 20-21ST XXXXXXX WE were unsafe, but immediately on 22 morning taken ipill tab. but on 1st feb 18 i got felling like my period has come, when observed saw like spots of period. feel my period is not like regular period. it is only 40 - 50 % feel. will the period be like that only, dr. can you please suggest. how to get my period as regulr. is it anything to worry... please help me.....

doctor please,
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be withdrawal bleeding due to the emergency contraceptive pill.

Detailed Answer:

Though you had the unprotected intercourse during the fertile period of your cycle presuming you have a monthly period, you are amply protected as you consumed the emergency contraceptive pill within the stipulated time interval.

The spotting you are experiencing is likely to be due to the withdrawal effect observed after using emergency contraception.

Your next natural period is likely to be delayed by a week or two due to hormone disturbance created by the pill.

Please visit a specialist for further evaluation if you become overdue by ten days for your next natural period.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Shanti Vennam 5 hours later
Doctor hello thankyou, will i get my period regularly as per regular this month by 11 feb i should get my period, since last month 11 was my period date. is it in this date ill get or week prolonged. Madam, should i consult a doctor now, or later.

madam is this my period for this month. next natural period means which date approx......
thankyou madam.
Brief Answer:
Next natural period should fall on the 11th of February.

Detailed Answer:

Here are your answers:
1. This spotting is unlikely to be your natural period. It is more likely to be the withdrawal bleeding.

2. Your next natural period should fall on the 11th of February. This may get delayed due to the pill effect.

3. You have to see a doctor if you become overdue by ten days. There is no need now unless otherwise.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Shanti Vennam
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad