How can soreness in the nipple be treated while breastfeeding?

Dr. Soumya

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: my wife is having sore nipples during breast feeding her baby. she delivered our baby 4 days ago. she is facing trouble feeding the baby. her breast are very hard, nipples are sore, sometimes hey nipples bleed too. what could be done to overcome this problem. please help urgently.
Answered by Dr. Soumya 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Nipple care

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply:

1) This is common problem in initial days to have such nipple problems.

2) use ointments like nipcare to apply to nipples in between feed intervals. This will take care of the problem and is safe also.

3) Wash it off before feeding again.

4) You drink more water and eat more vegetables which will help you to produce more breast milk.

5) This will slowly heal over 10 days.Nipple bleeding is also due to same problem and will reduce as it heals.

Dr. Soumya, OBGYN