How can soreness and dryness in the nose be treated while on an oxygen tank?

Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 23 Oct 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My husband had a heart attack. He had a stent put in and is on oxygen. We have been
home for one week. He has oxygen at night level 3 and a cart and portable tank for day use.
He is using the tank about 8 hours a day at level 2. He has complained about soreness
inside his nose. When he blows his nose there are red streaks from cracking and dryness.
His home -use air- concentrater doesn't have a water bottle because it was delivered after
hours - 8 PM Friday---My husband put mentholatum in his nose Please give suggestions.
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:

You should use nasoclear nasal drop

Detailed Answer:

Likely this is due to excessive dryness leading to crusting. The best option is making arrangement for a water bottle so that he'll get humidified oxygen.

You can make home-based arrangements for the same as well using any bottle which has an inlet and outlet, and dipping one end into the distilled water and another open end to outflow.

Until arrangements for humidified oxygen is done, he should use nasoclear nasal drop. This is a saline drop to be put in both nostrils every 2-4 hours.

It will keep mucosa wet. Also, you could use a humidifier in the room like some boiling water at the corner of the room to keep room humidified or steamer on. This will also prevent the problem.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Sagar Makode, Cardiologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad