How can soreness and dryness in the nose be treated while on an oxygen tank?
home for one week. He has oxygen at night level 3 and a cart and portable tank for day use.
He is using the tank about 8 hours a day at level 2. He has complained about soreness
inside his nose. When he blows his nose there are red streaks from cracking and dryness.
His home -use air- concentrater doesn't have a water bottle because it was delivered after
hours - 8 PM Friday---My husband put mentholatum in his nose Please give suggestions.
You should use nasoclear nasal drop
Likely this is due to excessive dryness leading to crusting. The best option is making arrangement for a water bottle so that he'll get humidified oxygen.
You can make home-based arrangements for the same as well using any bottle which has an inlet and outlet, and dipping one end into the distilled water and another open end to outflow.
Until arrangements for humidified oxygen is done, he should use nasoclear nasal drop. This is a saline drop to be put in both nostrils every 2-4 hours.
It will keep mucosa wet. Also, you could use a humidifier in the room like some boiling water at the corner of the room to keep room humidified or steamer on. This will also prevent the problem.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Sagar Makode, Cardiologist
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Symptoms of low oxygen levels while sleeping
- How will chlor oxygen benefit my health
- Colonoscopy oxygen runny itchy nose
- Low oxygen saturation while sleeping
- How does oxygen affect your brain
- Causes of low oxygen while sleelping
- How does haemoglobin transport oxygen
- Stuffy nose after propofol and nasal oxygen
- Is use of portable oxygen generator while driving safe
- How oxygen enters the body
- Suggest treatment for extreme fatigue and nausea
- What do my lab test reports indicate?
- Is an iron infusion advisable when having normal blood report?
- What causes intermittent chest pain?
- Suggest treatment for bronchospasm
- Can coumadin be taken before a thoracic aorta CTA procedure?
- What causes frequent heart palpitations during pregnancy?
- What does my angiogram result report indicate?
- Is blood pressure of 125/72 a cause for concern?
- What does my TLC result report indicate?