How can sore spot on the buttocks be treated?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Thu, 2 Aug 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a sore on my buttocks that is very painful. I have tried several suggestions but none never helped. I have been dealing with this for about a year. What do you suggest? Thank You
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Has the sore been cultured - i.e. a sterile swab done by a physician, and sent to a lab for culture and antibiotic sensitivity testing? That would provide the most accurate information of what is going on - what the infectious cause is, and how to treat it.

That would be my number one recommendation.

After you have had it cultured, while you wait, I recommend hot soaks or hot wet compresses several times per day. This will increase circulation to the area and also make the conditions less hospitable for bacteria to live there.

I also recommend you have a fasting blood sugar checked and A1C -these are blood tests to see how your sugar control is. Because if sugar control is not good, then it is hard for the body to heal wounds.