question-icon

How can sore spot on the buttocks be treated?

Posted on Thu, 2 Aug 2018
Question: I have a sore on my buttocks that is very painful. I have tried several suggestions but none never helped. I have been dealing with this for about a year. What do you suggest? Thank You
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Has the sore been cultured - i.e. a sterile swab done by a physician, and sent to a lab for culture and antibiotic sensitivity testing? That would provide the most accurate information of what is going on - what the infectious cause is, and how to treat it.

That would be my number one recommendation.

After you have had it cultured, while you wait, I recommend hot soaks or hot wet compresses several times per day. This will increase circulation to the area and also make the conditions less hospitable for bacteria to live there.

I also recommend you have a fasting blood sugar checked and A1C -these are blood tests to see how your sugar control is. Because if sugar control is not good, then it is hard for the body to heal wounds.

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh