• question-icon

How can sinus drainage, stuffy nose and severe cough be treated?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi I have a sinus drainage, that is causing me to have a stuffy nose when I lay down at night, during the day I am doing just ok I have a few coughing attacks during the day for a just a minute off and on, I work in a hot environment. today while I sit here typing I do have sinus drainage. I drink a lot of water at work, when I get home in the evening I sit and rest, then I start coughing for a while green mucus does come out. although I have developed a ulcer in stomach from taking to much Ibuprofen, etc from back problems, doctor has me on pantoprazole for the ulcer, what medication should I take for the sinus pressure that won't bother the ulcer?
Answered by Dr. Riddhi Shah 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see the answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and can understand your concern.

I would like you to please answer few questions to have a better knowledge of your condition:
1. Since how long, you are suffering from the above problem?
2. Are you also suffering from hypertension?

Awaiting your answer, so that I can guide you specifically...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Riddhi Shah 28 minutes later
I have had the ulcer since November 2016, that is when the gastroenterology doctor discovered it when I was having digestive problems, spastic colon, etc.. Colos I have had problems with digestive system for 10 years. My blood pressure has been slightly high a little above boarder line last time I saw a doctor, but not sure as of right now.
I'm in process of looking for a new family care doctor, but the pressure in my face around my cheeks is bothersome, do you think using the netting pot for 3 days could have left fluid up in that area?
Answered by Dr. Riddhi Shah 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see the answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for your reply.

Using netipot would not harm.

You may get relief by taking the following medications:
Antibiotic like Azithromycin,(500mg)once a day for 5 days(may need prescription from your local physician for this),
Antihistaminic like Levocetirizine,(5mg) once a day during night time for 5 days,
Mucolytic like Ambroxol(30 mg) two times a day for 5 days,
Mild Analgesic like Paracetamol,(500mg)two times a day for 3 days
Decongestant nasal drops like Oxymetazoline(0.1%) 3 drops three times a day for 5 days.

Continue using Pantoprazole.

Do steam inhalation. Drink lots of more fluids. Avoid dust and cold food.

Hope this answers your question.

Dr. Riddhi Shah

ENT Specialist