question-icon

How can shortness of breath be managed while having aortic stenosis?

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2018
Question: My problem is stenosis of the aortic valve, making it difficult for me to walk even a short distance. Is there anything I can do to improve my ability?
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Management of aortic stenosis.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

There are different treatment options available to treat the symptomatic aortic stenosis. The choice of treatment depends on the severity of stenosis and your general medical condition. The treatment options range from medical treatment (in case of mild stenosis) to balloon valvuloplasty and valve replacement (in severe aortic stenosis). Medical management is with diuretics (like enalapril), blood pressure control and statin therapy (to control cholesterol levels). Diuretics can help relieve shortness of breath in case of mild stenosis. However, more severe stenosis requires surgical intervention.

Please be advised to follow up with your cardiologist to assess the degree of valve stenosis and your general condition to decide upon the best treatment option for you.

Hope this answers your question.

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal