• question-icon

How can severe stomach discomfort after taking Cefuroxime Axetil be treated?

Posted on Tue, 26 Sep 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: taken off of doxycycline hyclate 10mmg cap and put on cefuroxime axetil 500 mg tab - cannot tolerate either one of them. I feel awful, stomach is killing me, feel like I am going to vomit. Now it has been listed that I cannot tolerate penicillin, yet these were ordered.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take a protector of the stomach to decrease the acidity.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

It seems like you have a problem with your stomach, and not a problem with allergy. Both medicines are not related with penicillin and what you are describing is not an allergic reaction. Both medicines does not cause stomach discomfort as a common side effect. If you have problems with your stomach, then every medicine will take, will not be tolerated well.

So, my advise is that you use a protector of the stomach to decrease the acidity. I generally recommend my patients to use Omeprazole 20mg, Esomeprazole 40mg, Lasnopazole 15 mg, ect. Take any of them once in the morning, as soon as you get up.
Also, take Cefuroxime after food and be sure to avoid spicy or acidic foods during this time.

I would not recommend to stop or switch cefuroxime, as I don't know the exact reason why you are taking it so I don't have the entire information. But in order for an antibiotic to treat well the infection, should be taken in the full course of recommendation. So, if worse or not better, I would recommend seeing a local doctor.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 18 hours later
Salmonella test came back negative - doctor took me off medication. We are going to explore other areas as to why I am so tired. Had been taking a probiotic and that still did not work. Thank you for your response. I had been told that cefuroxime as related to penicillin.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Feel free to follow up with me anytime if you have questions or concerns.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the follow up question.

I hope I have been of help.
The probiotic calms and bowel pains and helps in case you have diarrhea, but the medicine which decreases the acid in the stomach (that I suggested above) helps with nausea and upset stomach.

Cefuroxime is another class, different from penicillin, even though very close to it. There are research done of how much is the cross- allergy (so how much people who are allergic to penicillin would be allergic to the class of cefuroxime) and it proved out that it is very very low, that it is not worth to not prescribe these class of antibiotics. So it is ok to prescribe Cefuroxime in a person who is allergic from penicillin, as the risk from being allergic from cefuroxime is not higher then every person who is using a drug for the first time.

Hope this makes sense.

I wish you all the best in understanding what your problem is. Feel free to follow up with me if you have any specific question or concern.

Kind regards,
Dr. Papaqako
Dr. Klarida Papaqako