How can severe productive cough be treated?

Question
Around 12.12.17 I lost my voice but was not feeling ill. By 11.14.17 had developed cough and called my doctor who called in a z-pac. I took that along with DayQuill and NyQuill. Took last z-pac pill 11.18.17, however, still no improvement. My husband went to Walgreens to speak with the pharmacist on 11.19.17. She sent him home with Sudaphed which I took through 11.25.17. It appeared as though I was very close to being well with the exception of a lingering minor, unproductive cough. Sunday, 11.26.17, I began to lose my voice again. Went back to Walgreens and pharmacist recommended Mucinex-D. I started taking that Sunday evening. Woke up Monday morning with the following symptoms: headache, nasal & chest congestion, extreme sweats, laryngitis, coughing. When my husband returned home from work Monday, he made me call the doctor because I was so sick. I saw the doctor on Tuesday who prescribed steroids for me to begin taking yesterday morning and said I should feel better and could return to work today if no fever. She said it was viral and that I was not contagious. She did say that there was fluid in my ears. I felt some better yesterday, however woke up this morning sweating again. I do no have a thermometer to check temperature, but these sweats are so bad that my hair, clothing and/or sheets become soaked. I do feel some better, however, I am still having productive cough and my voice has not returned completely. I did not miss any work until this past Monday, 11.2717, but feel guilty about being gone from work for so long. I am concerned about going out in the cold while I am having these sweats. What do you recommend?

I asked this question almost one hour ago. When an I expect a response?

It would be nice if you were as quick to respond as you were to take my money!
Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Steam inhalation should help

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Healthcaremagic.

I have gone through your question and understand your concern. Such viral infections are usually associated with an allergic component. However, steam inhalation is the mainstay of treatment. It will help in diluting the cough and will help in its gradual resolution.

Let me know if I could help further.