Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

How can severe pain, swelling and burning sensation in groin region be treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 121 Questions
Hi I am a 68 year old female. I have been suffering for the last month and a half with a skin condition affecting my groin region. My skin has turned red and swollen with some grey areas. It is very painful and in some areas the skin has cracked and bled. My Doctor first thought it was a yeast infection, then he thought I could be dermatitis and he prescribed a steroid ointment which I only used for a week and a half since it thinned the skin and actually made things worse. I am going crazy with the daily pain, swelling and burning sensation. What can I do now and moving forward?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Psoriasis
Answered by Dr. R.V.Sirisha Rani 1 hour later

Thanks for your query.

The description of symptoms suggest the possibility of flexural psoriasis.

This form of psoriasis appears as smooth, dry areas of skin that are red and inflamed but do not have the scaling. Flexural psoriasis is more frequent and severe in people who are overweight because it is in the skin folds where it is particularly prone to irritation from rubbing and sweating. Also called inverse psoriasis.

Reducing weight will improve the condition.

Treatment of psoriasis may include creams, lotions, oral medications, injections and infusions of biologics, and light therapy. There is no cure for psoriasis.

Consult a competent dermatologist for physical examination. You may need fusidic acid ointment.

Hope I answered your query. I will be available for followup querries if any.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How can severe pain, swelling and burning sensation in groin region be treated ? 2 hours later
Could the psoriasis extend all the way from my genital region to the anus? In some areas the skin is peeling and has changed from red to grey. I also have bumps simlar to a rash throughout the the areas I discribed above. I have a doctor's appointment until the end of the month. Is there something I can take or do in the meantime to reduce the burning and pain I am experiencing while urinating, defecating, bathing and even walking? Could this be due to a hormone deficiency, infection, dermatitis or a combination of these ailments? I apologize but I am desperate at this point.
Answered by Dr. R.V.Sirisha Rani 9 hours later

Thanks again for getting back.

You can apply fusidic acid ointment which will heal the cuts in the mean time on the skin only, not on the genitalia.

This can be due to combination of stress, bad life style, hormone deficiency & infection might have occured where there is breach in skin continuity.

You have to have healthy eating habits like adequate balanced diet, regular exercise like walking 1/2hr daily for 5days in a week.

For your hypertension you have to reduce salt in your diet. Better to use olive oil in cooking. you can take fish.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor