Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

200 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

How can severe pain in the feet be treated despite taking Cortisone shots?

Answered by
Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2011

Answered : 1929 Questions

Posted on Tue, 21 Aug 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have extreme pain in my feet when I get up in the mornings to where it feels like i'm walking on broken bones.
After a few minutes of walking it subside tremendously but never goes away. I had Planters Fascias and had two cortisone shots for it but not the ongoing problem I am having.
I also get stiff and sore all over my body from not continually moving.
54 YO Male 6'1" 225
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need autoimmune profile and uric acid levels checked.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

First of all, it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, though the symptoms can be sequelae of plantar fasciitis worsening in waking up arises the need of having a baseline autoimmune workup done with ESR, CRP as well as ANA levels and RA factor to rule out rheumatological causes of such symptoms including PMR or RA.

A baseline uric acid level should also be done as it's symptoms also arise predominantly from feet. I'd suggest getting a detailed Rheumatological review. Repeating the subcutaneous steroids shots may also be required.

Meanwhile, soft soles and specially designed appendages for shoes should be used. Blood sugar levels and thyroid functions test should also be done to rule out endocrine causes.

For the time being, OTC analgesics like Acetaminophen or Tylenol can be used for pain and for severe pains potent and prescription based analgesics like Tramadol or nerve pain suppressants like Gabapentin or Duloxetine may be needed.

Hope I have answered your query.

Take care

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on