How can severe migraine be treated?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 20 Jul 2018 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I cannot seem to get rid of this headache - I've had it for days. In fact, I've had four migraines - total bedrest, ice, dark room type migraines - since the beginning of the year. This headache that I have is making me very nauseous, on every thing I eat. I've tried Excedrin and extra caffeine... I'm tired of the head pain and being sick to my stomach.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can take rizatriptan tablet.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist, and I would try my best to help you.

I have noted your clinical details. Based on this, you seem to be suffering from a severe migraine attack. You should take rizatriptan tablets for relief. For my patients, I use a dose of 10 mg. If needed, a second dose may be taken after 1-2 hours, if there is inadequate relief.

You could also consider a preventive therapy to reduce the number and severity of headache episodes in the future. For this purpose, topiramate tablets are useful.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: XXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad