• question-icon

How can severe knee pain be treated?

Posted on Thu, 13 Jul 2017 in Lump
Question: Monday morning I woke up and I dont know what i did, but my knee was hurting and it hurts to bend or walk on it, I can walk on it, but there is some pain. There is a little swelling but not much. Sunday I was stretching trying to put up curtain rods and hanging curtains, I can't think of what I've done. Is it good to put ice on it and put my leg up?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ice is a good idea.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Yes, ice and leg elevation are the first steps to be done. It usually helps, but not instantly. If you have had injured some tendons, it may take a week or so to get back to normal.
If there will be no improvement after this week, you should have an ultrasound of your knee done.

Hope this helps.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Thank you....how can I sleep at night? Pillows between me knees? That helped some but it still hurt a lot last night...is Advil good to take...and should I be using crutches to get up or is a cane ok?

Thanks so much
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cane is fine.

Detailed Answer:
Pillow under the knee and calf would be fine. Diclophenac, Ibuprophen, Advil, all this painkillers are acceptable. Cane is just fine.
Ok thank you so much
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 hours later
Is it good to stretch it or just put my leg up? I've been walking around today it seems a little puffed up on the inside of my knee and it hurts in the back of it too. Probably shouldn't be walking around like I have been today, right? I also was diagnosed with gout my foot is still a little swollen but that doesn't hurt any more. Could that be causing some of this? Cause I have no idea what I did. I just woke up Monday morning and it was hurting....how long does it take for this to go away and should I keep putting ice on it?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Stretching is a very good idea.

Detailed Answer:
Stretching is a good idea. So is walking. If you are able to walk, please continue. It may actually speed up heling process. Gout does not seem to be related to this issue.
It takes a week or so.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 20 hours later
I forgot to tell you that I tripped on something in the house and landed on my knee about 3 weeks ago...I still have the mark from when I fell.

What does a doctor do? I can put weight on it, hurts to bend it. It's nothing bad is it? I'm kind of scared to go :(

It hurts more at night when I'm trying to sleep. Is that because I'm not using it?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
X-ray should be done.

Detailed Answer:
Well, that changes a lot. As you have just mentioned about recent injury, it would be good to have an x-ray done at first. Waiting is not a good option. Fracture must be ruled out. Otherwise, you may not be able to walk normally.
You may also have some internal knee injury which can be detected with an ultrasound.
You definitely should consult orthopedist.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 days later
Well it's better now. Hurts a little bit but not bad now.

I don't have money for all those specialists....

Thank you for your help

Well now today I wake up my right hand hurts....but I think it's because I'm on my iPad over 8 hours a day. It's a little swollen by my pointer finger that I use on my iPad. It's not my wrist just my hand. What can I do for that? I know don't use my iPad for awhile and let my hand rest? Is it good to put ice on it or wear a brace on my hand I've been trying bio freeze. What else can I do?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ice and rest are the best you can do

Detailed Answer:
Ice and rest is the first step in case of such injuries indeed. Brace is also a good idea. There is no any other special method of the treatment. Just rest and wait. If this wont go away within a week or so, kriotherapy and physical therapy can be helpful. Steroid injection can be also done in case of chronic pain.
But at this point, rest and ice are the best you can do.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon