How can severe headaches due to sinus infection be treated?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2019 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Good Day!
I have somehow come down with a horrible sinus infection, causing my mucus to be thick and smells terrible. I've had daily sinus headaches, and the back side of my head has ached almost constantly
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Decongestants, antihistamine, anti inflammatory pain killer, warm compress.

Detailed Answer:

In many cases, the symptoms do resolve on their own eventually especially since the majority are due to viral infections and not bacterial infections.

The nasal sprays and neti pot should be continued.

In addition, you may want to try an antihistamine-decongestant combination. The decongestant would help even if there is no nasal congestion. It reduces secretions to the back of the throat and would also reduce congestion in the face (therefore help with pain relief).

e.g. zyrtec d, allegra d, benadryl d, claritine d

Paracetamol or ibuprofen or naproxen can be added to help with pain.

Using enough fluids would decrease the thickness of the secretions and improve drainage.

A warm compress (not hot) to the face would also encourage the sinuses to drain and reduce congestion.

If there is no improvement with these meds or there is worsening, then it is possible that the infection may be bacterial and you need a course of antibiotics.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Michelle Gibson James, General & Family Physician